Welcome to the Singlution!

No more desperate dating, pitiful pining and wahhhh-wahhhh-waiting!

New to the Singlution? Check out the Singlution FAQ.


Spread the Singlution LOVE! If this blog tickles your fancy, post a link to singlutionary.com on your facebook, myspace, twitter, forehead or just email all your Singlutionaries. Become a follower! Subscribe to the Singlution!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

I miss so much writing on this blog and reading the other single's blogs:)

This year I am celebrating my independence from desperation.

Tonight I went to do some catering work which I pick up in hard times to pay bills.

Tonight was my last night with this catering company. From now on, I'll do catering only on Saturdays and only for the one catering company that I LOVE. I'm not going to pick up work that I don't love on days that I need for other things just because I feel desperate for money. I'm asking myself what I enjoy, what makes me happy and not accepting any thing outside of those boundaries.

This fall I am turning 30 (I've begun to train for a marathon and I've invited my friends to join me in a "30by30" (lose 30 lbs by age 30) celebration.)


One thing I've learned in my 20s is that while money comes and goes, time is gone forever. Acting from a place of desperation has caused me to spend years of my life in bad relationships, maintaining bad friendships and at god awful jobs.

I can make that time and those experiences work for me in what I am doing now (and I do), but I can't get that time back.

So no more Sunday catering events (I'll be too busy with marathon training anyways) and no more picking up work that I feel not-so-excited about.

Will I have enough money? Ahhhh. That is always the question. Will I be able to make it? Will I be able to pay my bills? Will I be able to get gas in my car? Will I be able to repay my debts?

Will I be able to survive on my own?

The answer is always yes. There is a way to make it through even if you have to quit feeling desperate and start trusting, start reaching out and start letting the world in.

In all parts of my life. I declare my independence today from desperation.

What are you independent from today?

5 comments:

Julie said...

This post is a reassuring and inspirational post for me right now, especially your saying you stayed in "god awful jobs." I love what you said about having trust that things will be ok. I am currently very unhappy in a job, and wish to leave even without another job immediately.
Thanks for coming back and putting this post in.

hebba said...

Oh, I trained for my first marathon when I turned 30, as well. (Plus, learned guitar, took Spanish, got certified for personal training...I think I had a bit of a breakdown) ANyway...marathon training is a very inspirational process. You spend long periods of time just you and your thoughts. Then...you just stop thinking and enjoy the silence and the run. Then...all the things you were worried about start to solve themselves. Good luck with them.

Purple Turtle said...

Happy Independence Day! Welcome back Singlutionary--I missed reading your blog.

Constance Burris said...

Welcome back. I missed you!!! I wish I could your 30 by 30 deal.. but i'm too old. lol! good luck with your marathon training. BTW, you are totally right. Time is precious.

fini mahadami said...

Will I be able to survive on my own?
That's a good question..I just quit my job, currently unemployed but had no regret at all! It's time to take break for now.. That's one of the best thing of being single, right? I decide what's best for me.. I love your blog a lot!! I'm following you now so I don't miss your stories :)